Happy Fish are the new charity blocks starting with the meeting on May 17. There are three different blocks (A, B, and C). You will use your own scraps for the fish and take backgrounds from the guild at the meeting or make 9+ blocks entirely from your own materials.
Directions: Block A (download PDF)
These directions were written by Michelle Boyd for the Bay Area Modern Quilt Guild
May 2014 charity block.
The fish blocks are 12 inches, finished. There are three
different blocks. These directions are for block A, which has one big fish.
- Background:big triangles (A) – one square 6 7/8.
- Background: small triangles (A) – one square 3 7/8.
- Background: rectangles (A) – three rectangles 6.5 x 3.5.
- Fabric for the fish: big triangles (A) – one square 6 7/8.
- Fabric for the fish: small triangles (A) – one square 3 7/8.
To make one block:
Start with the 6 7/8 inch square of the background fabric and the fabric for the fish.
- Draw a diagonal line on the back of one of the squares. Pin them right sides together.
- Sew 1/4 inch on either side of the line. Cut on the line. Now you have two half square triangle units.
Lay the two half square triangle units out so that the fabric for the fish makes a bigger
triangle. Sew them together to make the fish body.
Repeat Steps 1 and 2 with the small squares to make the tail section.
As shown in the diagram, sew one of the background rectangles behind the tail piece.
Sew one rectangle to the top of the tail. Sew the last rectangle to the bottom of the tail
Sew the tail piece to the back of the body piece, matching the center seams.