The group had another fun-filled and informative meeting at the Redwood City Library Community Room. We were ably led by Gerre D. Amy, Nancy and Mary. A whole host of volunteers helped to make this meeting happen.
- November 4: Sew Day
- November 11: Sarah Goer Workshop
- November 18: November Meeting
- December 9: December Winter Party
- January 6: Sew Day
- January 13: Meeting Date
1. Question of the Day: What Color is LEAST represented in your stash?
- Beige – 3
- Black – 4
- Brown – 9
- Green – 1
- Grey – 1
- Orange – 3
- Pink – 4
- Red – 6
- Tan – 2
- Teal – 1
- Yellow – 6
As usual, some of the comments were hilarious:
- Regarding teal, the member who said that was she she had least of in her stash remarked that she knew she was swimming against the guild tide.
- Regarding brown, one member said there was nothing wrong with brown
- Another member said that she did not consider brown a real color
2. Membership – see Nancy and Annemarie to get set up
3. Merit hexies – be sure to pick up your awards.
4. 2018 Meeting dates and Sew Days are posted on the Meeting page
5. Charity – Michelle & Peggy
- they will bring fabric to Sew Day so members can make pillowcases for Sonoma and Santa Rose fire victims
- The guild (thanks, Michelle!!!) now has labels for charity quilts
- There area a few MassdDrop FQs left for charity projects.
Also, the money we pay to Grace Lutheran for the space goes to a fund at the church that has helped to build and stock a health center in the Sudan.
6. Pet Beds
- was available at the meeting
8. Retreat Wrapup
- retreat was great
- small gifts were given to Retreat committee members
9. Sarah Goer Workshop had 4 spaces left
10. Quilty Happenings
- Thru 4/1/2018: Gees Bend Quilts at the DeYoung as part of another exhibit
- Textile Tuesdays in SSF at the SSF library, 1.3
- FabMo boutique 10/28
11. Meet Your Neighbor – Lee Ann interviewed Mary C.
Mary was born in Connecticut and grew up in Wisconsin. She moved to California to marry her husband of ~30 years, Mark. They have lived in Palo Alto for 27 years. Mark happens to be Marti’s brother.
Mary can’t remember not sewing. She started with dolls, Kleenex and paper towels. A neighbor taught her how to sew. She worked on costumes for plays all through high school, then studied costume design in college. She worked for the Palo Alto Players for 6 years and made costumes for her children’s high school productions
She is all about speed in sewing. Mary also makes wedding dresses and ball gowns. She considers them “costumes with demanding actresses.”
She started quilting about 12 years ago. She also likes puzzles, games, dominos and watching (bingeing on) movies). She likes to travel and thinks that no matter where you go, you’ll have good stories.
- Prints or solids? Prints leaning towards solids
- Casserole or BBQ? BBQ
- FMQ/Walking Foot? Walking foot
- Curves or triangles? Curves
- Wine or beer? Wine
Next month Mary will interview Tim H
12. Elections in November – see a board member if you want to run. Email Gerre whether you will continue your guild job for next year.
13. Forum notifications need to be coddled. If you are not getting notifications:
- Login to the forum (http://bamodernquiltguild.ning.com/)
- Click forum
- Scroll all the way to the bottom
- click follow
- You may need to toggle on/off, if you have done this step in the past.
- You can also look into the options for email/RSS feed.
14. Baby Beeby Burpoff
We held a mini-baby shower for our founder, Ruth. She opened and graded beautiful burp cloths, pouches and other small baby gear and a gift card.
15. Color My Quilt – Melinda
Hope you are all caught up! Melinda is next up. She likes things as they morph, transitions and Escher. Her favorite color is raspberry.
16. The Holiday Extravaganza Palooza Swap is coming
- Signups through Nov.1 Contact Cheryl via the forum thread.
- Theme is kitchen
- It is a regular swap with a theme
- Wrap the gift in a pillowcase, which will be donated to the Santa Rosa/Sonoma fire victims
- Swap will happen at the holiday party
- Ideas are posted on the blog
17. Holiday Party will be 12/9 and will be organized by Alison and Michelle S.
18. Trunk Show. Sarah Goer
She has sewn as long as she can remember. She made her first quilt in 2002 and learned never to trust patterns. The directions in Quilting for Dummies were wrong. She made her next quilts starting in 2010 using Very Hungry Caterpillar fabric. She uses a lot of Karlee Porter
inspiration in graffiti quilting. She participates in challenges and has learned to work small. She has a new (and very popular, according to members) machine binding tutorial on her blog