Bay Area Modern Quilt Guild Monthly Meeting
January 17, 2015
Redwood City Library
January’s meeting started with each person introducing their self and sharing their favorite color. Picking one favorite color was easier for some than for others.
Announcements: BAM will be joining the National Modern Quilt Guild again in 2015. Mike L. is the MQG liaison for BAM. This is a new volunteer position. He will be providing helpful tips throughout the year on how to get the most out of the national website. Periodically, the guild will use its projector to show archived webinars from MQG during sew days and after general meetings. (Note: The archived webinars are available on the MQG website to all MQG members for viewing at anytime.)
BAMQG treasurer, Claire F. was unable to attend the meeting so the 2015 membership dues ($40) will be collected at the February meeting.
Kelly O. introduced the BAM Theme for the year – What IS Modern/Improv? Karen M. has volunteered to coordinate challenges throughout the year that will help highlight elements of modern design.
A new activity was introduced at the meeting – Angela O. lead a group discussion on The Slow Stitching Movement, a term attributed to Mark Lipinski. She started off with an excerpt from the website, stressing this is not about just sewing by hand. It was an enjoyable, interactive discussion with many people participating.
Resolutions for 2015 – Everyone was encouraged to write down their quilting/sewing resolutions for the year on cards and put them in envelopes. The resolutions will be revisited at the end of the year. Please see Cheryl S. at the next meeting if you have not filled out a card yet.
Charity Update –Currently, lots of kits need to be quilted.
- Please return all 2014 kits you have at home, in any state. They do not need to be completed, but they do need to be returned to the guild.
- The new block for 2015 will be introduced at the February meeting.
Attendees were invited to stay after the meeting and help cut fabric for the 2015 block.
The next charity sew day will be Saturday, February 7 at the Los Altos Library. We will be working to make 10 quilts from Hawaiian fabric donated to BAMQG.
2015 Retreat – The committee is working on retreat dates in the spring and hopes to start sign ups at the February meeting.
BAM Opportunity Quilt Update – Amanda M. has volunteered to oversee the completion of the quilt and the ticket sales throughout 2015. The quilt top and back were passed along to Marcie Gore for long-arm quilting. The Opportunity Quilt will be shown at the SCVQA Quilt Show in March and PIQF in October. Amanda is lining up additional venues. Volunteers will be needed to help bind the quilt and to sell tickets whenever it is shown.
Peggy L. has the quilts from the Los Altos Library Show. Please contact her if you haven’t gotten your quilt back.
2014 UFO Project update – 115 projects were completed by the participants in 2014. Congratulations to all who participated. Kelly O. did one last random drawing for all the participants and presented a bag she had sewn, filled with goodies, to Lyndalee K.
Gift bags were given to Kelly O. (President), Amanda M. (Vice President), Claire F. (Treasurer), Peggy L. (Charity Committee) and Michelle B. (Charity Committee) as a “thank you” for their volunteer work for the guild in 2014. The bags were made by Jaye L. and Cheryl S. and filled with items donated by members. The effort and hours all five dedicated to BAM is greatly appreciated.
Amish: The Modern Muse at the San Jose Museum of Quilts and Textiles Update
- The 2nd half of the show is going up on Monday, 1/19/15.
- The start date was delayed due to issues that caused the museum to be unexpectedly closed for a short period.
- The Antique Ohio Amish Quilts exhibit and Amish: The Modern Muse show will continue until March 15, 2014.
- Details are on the museum’s website – www.sjquiltmuseum.org
Don’t miss this wonderful exhibit. Quilts by BAM members are also in the second showing.
- Santa Clara Valley Quilt Association will be having its biennial SCVQA quilt show on March 14-15, 2015 at the Santa Clara Convention Center (same location as PIQF)
- BAM members have been invited to submit quilts.
- Kelly O. will have more details on the submission date and how many quilts the guild can submit.
- Watch for details on the Ning site.
- We will be showing the BAM Opportunity Quilt at this show Volunteers are needed for Opportunity Quilt ticket sales, set up and take down of show quilts, door staffing during show and white glove duties.
Sign up sheets will be passed around at the February meeting.
Barbara, C., President of the Peninsula Quilters presented information about their 24-hour Quilt-a-Thon on January 25-26 from 8:00am to 8:00am. BAM members are invited to join the fun and/or sponsor Peninsula Quilters in their efforts. More information is available at on their website peninsulaquilters.org
The Modern Quilt Guild’s show Quiltcon 2015 is February 19-22 in Austin, TX. There will be a few BAM members attending.
Our next meeting will be on Saturday, February 21 at the Redwood City Library, 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm. Please bring a sample representing your interpretation of Marsala – the 2015 Pantone Color of the Year.